Sunday, October 30, 2011

August Layout #1: First attempt at a banner



Banners have been all the rage in the papercrafting world for some time now, and I've been wanting to try my hand at them. With so many different stamp options, dimensional elements, etc., they can easily be adapted to whatever type of project/theme/medium you are using.

This layout uses the stamp set from the Elemental Workshop on the Go (WOTG). This is a great workshop kit, and is worth considering even if you don't want to complete the suggested layouts (see pg. 31 of the Idea Book). Each WOTG kit includes a D-size stamp set, Level 2 paper packet, instructions for the featured project, and some embellishments. In this case you are getting the Antiqued Copper Designer Brads and Just Blooms Flutter Paper Shapes. I think that the stamp sets that come with the WOTG kits are some of the best we have!

The Elemental stamp set includes four half round shapes that can be used to create banners/borders. To save myself some time, I stamped each half round back to back, so I could use a circle punch to cut both out, and then all I needed to do was cut them in half.

I used the Piercing Tool to create a hole in the corners. Since I used hemp to string the banner together, after making the initial hole, I slid it most of the way down the piercing tool to create a wider hole. I also put a little bit of liquid glass on the end of the hemp to make it easier to thread through the holes.


When working with hemp, you need to be careful. It's a little bulkier, and you need to take care in stringing and moving around the banner pieces. Twine, floss, or waxy flax might have worked better, but I don't have any of that on hand at the moment.



Also, hemp is a little more dimensional that the other choices I mentioned, so I decided to use the 3D-foam tape to mount the banner. It took a little bit of working through the drape/angles, but I like how this came out.

I wanted to tie the banner theme through the rest of the layout, so I added some banner elements on the left side and below the original banner, but I just adhered those with tombow since I wanted them to be more background elements.



Creating a banner is definitely a litle more labor intensive than a lot of the embellishment choices out there, but it adds a fun, whimsical touch to the layout. I enjoyed the process and am looking forward to trying out some different shapes, materials, and methods with this decorative element!

CTMH Products Used
Stamps: Set from Elemental Workshop on the Go
Ink: Cocoa, Tulip
Paper: Tulip, White Daisy
Other: Hemp, 3-D Foam Tape, Piercing Tool

No comments:

Post a Comment