Monday, May 14, 2012

Sassy Scrapping Christmas Present Layout




I was the lucky recipient of a spot in Shannon Tidwell's Sassy Scrapping class.  I'm a little bit behind, but that's the great thing about these workshops.  They are self-paced, and you always have access.  This is a layout that I created for Week 1, (Finding and Using Inspiration). 

Shannon gave us some tips about places she turns to when looking for inspiration, and challenged us to use one of those sources to create a layout.  There were some really good ideas, my favorite was to use a movie poster, but since I've been pressed for time lately, I didn't do the research to actually go look for a movie poster to use as a jumping off point.  Instead, I turned to the easiest/most readily available source, Pinterest.

I was browsing through my boards, and this pin, leapt off the page at me.  These origami bows are great for dressing gifts, but I thought that it would also make a wonderful, bold statement on my page.

I followed the directions found here, practicing first on regular printer paper, and then I used some of my patterned paper (this was an 8" square and produced a bow approximately 5" x 5").  Many of today's papers are quite thick and since there are a lot of folds involved, I'd recommend going with a lighter weight paper.  Most craft stores also sell origami paper in solids and fun patterns, so if you don't have any lighter weight papers, that's a good option.  A bone folder is also highly recommended.  I used an older CTMH paper from the Mistletoe collection (before they changed the formula to a thicker weight). 



This is a really FAST layout to do.  I just created the bow and then cut two 1" strips for the ribbons for the package.  The photos are 4" x 4".  Instead of using a big title, I cut a tag using my Art Philosophy cartridge and put the title on that to echo the present theme.  The tag is decorated with just a little bit of solid red tape (from Target) and some May Arts twine.  

I wanted to anchor the page a little, and thought about stitching, or writing my journaling around the edges, but then I saw this tape (also from Target).  The tape actually has two rows of those dots, but I only wanted a thin border, so I just folded the other half over onto the back side. 

I had a really good time putting this one together, and am actually thinking of investing in an origami book....  Hope your week is off to a great start, Thanks for stopping by!

Supplies Used
Paper/Cardstock:  Mistletoe papers; White Daisy and Kraft cardstock
Other:  Bone Folder; Cricut Art Philosophy cartridge;l May Arts twine; Target tapes; Dodz adhesives; Tombow adhesive

6 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhhhh I love love love love love love this!! LOVING the photos and that bow is AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an adorable layout, Miriam. What a cute design for a Christmas page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. neat composition for xmas page! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic layout! Love the giant bow. I could see it being used to commerate birthdays, any occasion with gifts... You are right about the downside of the new thicker paper, altho I like it for paper-crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miriam, this is AMAZING! Love, love, LOVE that big bow! And the way you've put everything together... Inspired! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bow looks great on your layout, and I love how you added the gift tag for your title. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete