Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Version of the Onesie Card


I have long been in search of the perfect onesie card. There are many versions out there, but they haven't been just right. I wanted one that was a little more real to life, not so boxy/angular, but large enough to be an actual card.

Here is my version. I love this card, but there is one hitch. As I mentioned, I wanted it to be a large, full-sized card, so 5x7. 5x7 cards generally open along the long side, but I wanted the onesie card to open at the top, where the shoulders are. As a result, you can't cut this out of a 12x12 piece of cardstock the traditional way. Instead, you'll need to cut about a 6" swath of cardstock out of the center of the paper on the diagonal. I kind of shudder to do it because I hate wasting cardstock, but I've been able to find plenty of uses for the scrap.



I did experiment with cutting front/back pieces and adhering them together. This method is a lot more time consuming to cut, and you have to be very careful in fitting the pieces together, but the overall effect is still the same. Here is a picture of the version made from two pieces. Can you tell the difference between the two?



Aside from having to cut on the diagonal, I am really pleased with this card. I think it does a great job of capturing the look and feel of a onesie, and is just the right size. This is my new go-to baby shower/new baby card (although I just might have another baby related card in the works....)

Thanks for looking!

Gotta have one? The template for this card is available for purchase. Details are under the Templates/Tutorials for Sale tab.

CTMH Supplies Used:
Stamps: It's a Zoo, Enjoy Life, Friendship Alphabet Large
Ink: Chocolate, Cranberry
Paper: White Daisy
Other: Cocoa Marker

2 comments:

  1. Cute. Cute. Cute. I agree. I like the realistic-looking onesies, too. I posted a standard-sized one that also opens from the top last winter. It never occurred to me to create one in a 5x7 size. Great thinking! You've got my wheels spinning. Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable onesie card. I love the sentiment too, perfect for a little guy like mine!

    ReplyDelete