Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Good Day Sunshine - Adventures in Embossing



So I made my first card that involved hot embossing the other day.  It was a ton of fun, and I thought I would fire up the craft heater for another card tonight - which is for the Unity WCMD embossing challenge and Kim Kesti's sketch challenge.

I love the way this looks, except for the little stray embossing powder specks.

I used four Spectrum Noir markers to create the ombre coloring and then embossed my image on top.  Not sure if it's because I did all that coloring and the powder kind of stuck to it more, but I had a hard time getting the powder off.  I also embossed the little circle around the hole in the tag.

So, for all you embossing pros out there, help a girl out with your best strategies/tools for preventing stray embossing powder specks. 

Other than that, I really do like the look of this, and I do plan to try it again, after I figure out how to keep it a little cleaner.

Thanks for coming by!

Supplies Used
Paper/Cardstock:  CTMH - Dreamin papers, Black and Colonial White Cardstock, Colonial White bulk card base
Stamps:  Unity - Good Day Sunshine
Ink:  Versamark
Other:  CTMH - Black embossing powder, craft heater; Spectrum Noir Markers - OR1, GB5, CT4, CT3; The Twinery - Marigold Twine; 3L - Small Dodz Adhesive; Tombow - Mono Adhesive

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome Miriam! With this silhouette image I find the strays add to the sunrise/sunset quality of the scene! Love that the image is on the tag too...so pretty. To avoid strays I use an anti-static bag (embossing buddy or ek success powder tool) or dryer sheet. If your paper is the least bit damp though, the powder will stick so after coloring with markers it might be good to run a heat tool over it from far to dry things a bit first. The same thing happened to me with Copics a few weeks ago. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute!

    I also use the dryer sheet as Barb says. Black is really tough. Sometimes I just stamp with black pigment ink and use clear EP to avoid the strays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! This is GORGEOUS!! I love love love the colors and love love love the silhouette image!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are doing a great job embossing..you make me want to bring my heating gun out and use it...very pretty card and love the color..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful card! And using my brand new sketch, too. Great job! Thanks - Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this card. Something about the dramatic black with gorgeously blending colors is so striking!

    In addition to Barb's tips I also do these 2 things: 1) use a small paint brush to clean up any stray flecks of powder, 2) if you want to emboss in black...throw away the black embossing powder. It's the devil of the embossing world! Instead, I use Versafine in Onyx Black. It's oil based and stays wet long enough to sprinkle on some clear embossing powder and you get gorgeous black! It doesn't have as much "open" time as Versamark BUT it's SO SO SO much better than using black embossing powder. IMHO :)

    ReplyDelete