Friday, October 5, 2012

It's a Tree Pickin' kind of day for Sweet Stamp Shop Challenge


I'm playing along with Sweet Stamp Shop's challenge again today.  This time we needed to use embossing on our cards.

I must admit, that I haven't done a ton of embossing.  I've got lots of stuff, but somehow often feel like it takes too much time, to pull all the stuff out.  BUT, emboss I did on this card.  Tried not one, but two different thngs!

First, I used the letterpress technique to create that background.  It was easier and less messy than I thought it would be - really no mess at all.  Just used a brayer to roll ink onto one side of the embossing folder, stuck a piece of paper in, ran it through the Vagabond.  Don't know why it took me so long to get around to trying it!

The one thing I did learn is that it does weaken your cardstock.  This was supposed to be a bigger card, but when I was trimming the paper, it kept ripping...insert angry crafter here...so I ended up having to trim with scissors, thus, you see a 4x4 card instead of an A2.

I also embossed the sentiment with the craft gun that I have had for about 6 months and never used until now.  I have to admit, the embossing part was pretty fun.  It was neat to see the powder melt and then puff up.

Finally some piecing, because it's what I do.  I used CTMH's Christmas papers from last year, Believe, for the red mat as well as the two lighter trees, and then Topiary cardstock for the bigger trees.  The red and yellow accents were added with Spectrum Noir markers.

Hope your week is ending well, looking forward to a long weekend!

Supplies Used
Paper/Cardstock:  CTMH - Believe papers, White Daisy and Topiary cardstock
Stamps - Sweet Stamp Shop Tree Traditions
Ink:  CTMH - Chocolate and Topiary
Other:  Sizzix - Textured Impressions Embossing Folder, Scallops by Basic Grey, Vagabond; Tombow - Mono Adhesive; CTMH - Dimensional Foam Tape, White Embossing Powder, Craft Heater, Bonding Memories Adhesive; Versamark; Speedball - Rubber Brayer; Spectrum Noir Markers - DR5 and CT4

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful job!! I know embossing used to be a bother for me, but the more I do it, the better I get!! I love your card with the letterpress background! Lovely paper-piecing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cuteness times ten, a lot of great details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute card...love the background and those trees are awesome..great card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOOOO pretty! I LOVE the background and the trees/scene--FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm soooooo not good embossing! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee your card!!!! I love love love those trees!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 6 months and now love for the heating gun! I hope you'll be addicted now! LOL! Your letter press background is amazing! I need to do that more too! I always get messed up with what side of the folder to ink up though. Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so sweet! I love the background!

    ReplyDelete
  8. isn't embossing fun! I'd be lost without my heat gun, lol! I'm an impatient crafter, so I'm always using it to also dry things along quicker. Adorable card! Love those sweet tree images!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so good to do a little catching up on your blog Miriam!
    Love the Christmas card!!
    Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete