Saturday, February 23, 2013

Soar



Busy weekend for us, but I thought I would share a card I made a while back that wasn't picked up for publication.

For the background, I used a technique I learned way back when my parents sent me to watercolor painting classes (which I loved BTW).  Basically, you saturate your paper, then brush/spray/drop color onto the paper and immediately place saran wrap on top and kind of crumple it up.  Leave the saran wrap on the paper until it is totally dry.  What you end up with is kind of a stained glass window effect.  This paper was really porous, so the lines are quite subtle, but for less absorbant papers the lines wll be more crisp. 

For this card I used only two colors:  Topiary and Twilight reinker (which were watered down in spray pens).  Pretty cool how the color separates isn't it?

The sentiment is from an old CTMH stamp of the month.  I first stamped it in black.  Then I added highlights using a Faber-Castell metallic marker.  I initially painted it on the stamp itself and then stamped it onto the card.  Since the watercolor paper was so absorbant, I went back and retouched directly on the paper to get good coverage.

That's all for today!  Hope you are enjoying the weekend!

Supplies Used
Paper/Cardstock:  Baszzill Card Shoppe - Jaw Breaker; Water Color Paper
Stamps:  CTMH - Live Out Loud
Ink:  CTMH - Topiary, Twilight, and Black
 
Other:  Faber-Castell - Gold Metallic Pitt Marker. Tombow - Mono Adhesive

15 comments:

  1. totally gorgeous... love the color combo and the sentiment with the butterflies..GORGEOUS..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo! Miriam, this is ever so dreamy! Such a beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This remains one of my most favourite cards of yours Miriam! The technique gives amazing results for something so simple, and I love how you added additional detail to the sentiment too! Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the back round, very pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHHHH! What a beautiful background! I really need to try some of this watercoloring and techniques:)

    ps...THANK YOU soooooooo much for your sweet comments on my blog last week! It was nice to come back from Jamaica to such encouragement and love:) <3 I hope to catch up on my blog reader this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely stunning! i don't understand how it didn't get picked up...it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your techniques are amazing, Miriam! This is really spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your background technique is gorgeous, Miriam! I love the black stamping against the wash of color. Sorry it didn't get picked up. I think it should have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your card Miriam and that background is absolutely fabulous!
    TFS~

    ReplyDelete
  10. When did you get to go to watercolor painting classes?! Well it was a good investment . . . gorgeous card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful! LOVING that background!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great technique, thanks for sharing it!! Love how your sentiment goes in the same direction the colors do on your card base, both pointing to the upper right. Again, such an effective flow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting technique! Love the effect.
    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Miriam, this is AMAZING! What a gorgeous card :o)

    ReplyDelete