Sunday, June 23, 2013

Budapest/Romania First Page - Lily Bee/Gossamer Blue Challenge


I've been buried under end of school activities, birthday parties, DT assignments, and I finally came up for air.  Cleaned (or at least mostly cleaned since you can see the table) my craft area/dining room, and decided it was time to work on a layout!

Lily Bee and Gossamer Blue have a challenge this month - create a summertime layout.  I recently received the Destination collection, and will be incorporating it into our Budapest/Romania album.  I thought making the cover/first page of the album would be perfect for this challenge.

I started by painting the center portion of my page with some Dylusions ink sprays - just dip your paint brush into the bottle and paint away.  I painted the whole thing blue, then added the brown to deepen the blue color as well as add the brown tones in there.  Then I splattered a bit of both of the colors on the page.

Once it was dry, I went about picking out the papers.  Destination is full of blues and woodprints with some red and yellow sprinkled in too.  I wanted this to be a summery layout, so I opted for some of the lighter blues/yellows.

The light blue pattern that is layered beneath the yellow airplane print I modified a bit.  It was a softer blue and I wanted to lift/brighten the color a little, so I added some of the blue mist to some water and applied a light wash to the edges.  It's subtle, but I think it ties it together with the background a little better.


I tucked a little glassine back behind the photo to hold a tag with the journaling.  Some of the stickers from the Destination collection, some stitching, and some strategically punched globes from the woodgrian globe paper embellish the page.  Another little trick, I left the strings from the stitching free.  Instead of adding enamel dots or something else to secure them, I just tucked them under the closest sticker/thicker.  It's subtle, but adds some great texture.

Thanks for coming by, the weekend has flown for us, but lots of fun going on here!

Supplies Used
Paper/Cardstock:  Lily Bee - Destination collection; CTMH - White Daisy Cardstock
Other:  Dylusions - London Blue and Melted Chocolate Ink Sprays; American Crafts - White Journal Thickers; Lily Bee - Destination Collection alphas/stickers; CTMH - Dimensional Foam Tape; The Twinery - Denim Twine; Curtsey Boutique - Glassine Bag; Cricut - Art Philosophy Cartridge; Tombow - Mono Adhesive; Creative Memories - Circle Punch

22 comments:

  1. So beautiful, Miriam! I love everything about this layout! And kinda jealous that you've been to those places. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! LOVING the colors, the paint and the hearts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic layout Miriam!
    I absolutely love your work with the background.
    So many details to find and ponder on!!
    Thank YOU~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your project, awesome background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great page, love the papers and the three round maps !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your painted background! All the details too, like leaving the end of the sewing free. This is a wonderful Title page!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful page, Miriam! I love the painted background and the loose threads!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally loving your inking background, Miriam, and your mix of patterns here is absolutely delightful! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow your layout is amazing.. love the inked background and great photo... love it

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very pretty layout! I love the inked background!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous page. I love that pretty blue!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great layout! I love the blue in the background and the details with the twine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is truly inspiring, Miriam!! I adore the ink brushes in the background! You rock with this layout!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OHHH! I love the ink brushes and the ombre kind of look! LOVE the little glassine bag behind the photo for journaling! LOOOOOOOOOVE this page! YOU are amazing;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi miriam, i like your style and i had enjoyed today reading some of your posts. i like how you explain all so well. congrats on your pc submission, it is indeed great news. way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miriam, just gorgeous! Love the way you painted and mixed the mists for the background...this is my fave of LB...just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow! That LO is amazing! All the textures and blues, so pretty! My parents lived in Romania as Missionaries for a few years!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous summertime page Miriam!!I love the colors and the pretty design!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The inked background is super pretty!! Love the design, and all the bits and pieces! Great job Miriam!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, your dylusions background is just stunning!! Love all the little details you worked in here, like the words and the globes. Such great flow on the right side of your page leading to the titles.

    ReplyDelete
  21. awesome!!! i love the color story...and your layout.

    ReplyDelete