Friday, November 7, 2014

Peace on Earth (and a confession)


I have a confession.  I am horrible about details, and it's getting worse as I go.  I will read something once, and get a fact stuck in my head, for example, Ellie's hockey class starts at the beginning of November, on November 1st to be exact....wrong.  It actually starts this week, November 8th to be exact.  Oops.  Thankfully they were really cool and let her participate with the previous group last week.

Anyway, you are probably wondering what this has to do with crafting right?  Well I am also really bad about reading publication calls.  So I made this card for the Stamp & Ink call at PC&S.  Guess what?  They are NOT, I repeat NOT looking for Christmas cards.  Oops again.

So, somewhat by accident I have a Christmas card to share today.

I'm using some Essentials by Ellen products:  The Christmas Scribbles and Brushstroke Christmas stamp sets and the Brushstroke Peace Die.

I started with a 3x4 piece of watercolor paper which I added a wash of blue to, with a little touch of yellow in the center for some brightness/light.

I knew I was going to use the pine stamps at the top and bottom border, so after the paper was mostly, but not totally dry, I added green in the general areas/where the pine sprigs would be.  Since the blue wasn't totally dry, it blends in nicely, and adds some extra depth.



Then I actually stamped the sprigs with Versafine.  I actually stamped it once, and then again in second generation slightly offset to add some extra dimension.  I also went in and added some additional green paint in the stamped areas to punch up the color too.

Once the panel was totally dry, I embossed the secondary sentiment in gold.  The peace was die cut from gold foil cardstock and popped up, and the entire panel was popped up over a dark blue mat.

That's all for today.  Glad to be home, and looking forward to some fun with the family this weekend!

Supplies Used
Paper/Cardstock:  Avery Elle - Cream and Sapphire cardstock; Canson - Watercolor Paper; Recollections - Gold Foil Cardstock
Stamps:  Ellen Hutson - Christmas Scribbles and Brushstroke Christmas
Ink:  Versafine and Versamark
Other:  Ellen Hutson - Brushstroke Peace Die; Kuretake - Gansai watercolors; CTMH - Gold Embossing Powder; Scrapbook Adhesives - Foam Adhesive; Tombow - Mono Adhesive

27 comments:

  1. If they HAD been accepting Christmas cards I know it would have been picked! ;) So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Stunning!!! Love how you colored the background, just fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely background for the pine boughs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard not to craft Christmas cards this time of year...... I totally can relate, Miriam!
    Your card is fantastic -- if they would have been looking for Christmas cards, I'm sure it would have gotten chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Their loss??? LOL
    A great card either way! (As for getting things/dates mixed up, fear NOT! Trust me, you are NOT alone!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one GORGEOUS card!!! And oh boy! You sound like me...seriously, I do the same kind of things! And I'm so bad, that I'll actually blame it on my kids! lol ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you card even if you did not need to make a Christmas card...this is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! I really love your background colouring. Lovely depth. Lucky for us they weren't looking for Christmas cards. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous background and lovely die cut for your wonderful Christmas card! I hope your daughter loves her hockey classes! My son plays on a rec league and gives private hockey lessons! Have a great weekend!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous holiday card! Love the background colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see that you and I have ANOTHER thing in common. I do not read details well....I often get the stuffed missed or mixed up (just ask my family). Thankfully, the rest of my family members are WAY more OCD and meticulous than I am, so that saves! Your card is PUB-WORTHY! (should have saved it for future submissions--note to you). Lucky for us to see this stunning card! You are into creating details---that's what matters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I think it's beautiful and glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always been told that when you forget details, it's because you have a lot on your mind. Hmmm....I bet that sounds familiar. It certainly doesn't effect your creativity...this card is gorgeous! Beautiful stamping, Miriam!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a STUNNING card. Best Chrissy card ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you misread the call...this card is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heehee...details or no details, your card is breath taking beautiful Miriam!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. (-: You are not alone about that !!! But you are one of a kind cardmaker - this is another absolutely amazing card - I LOOOVE it!!! - had they seen it they would have added a christmas section to their mag!
    Have a great Sunday, hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Details schmetails! LOL! I worry that I'm having "senior moments" when I start to forget things so I check and double check and even triple check. Big sigh. Lucky for us we get to see your Christmas card! I love all the water coloring and pop of gold!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm just as bad as you, if not worse!!! I don't even attempt to explain myself anymore ! So I just had to stop and say this card is so amazing, it should definitely be in a magazine.. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so stunning! I'm sure had they wanted Christmas cards it would have been picked up. Just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hear you! My brain is on your same wavelength-details sort of wash over sometimes :( But the upside here is a fantastic card! The downside-no more submitting :( I echo your feeling-was at a loss not creating this last week for June-it's so foreign :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so deliciously stunning! LOVE that foil sentiment to bits! It looks fantastic against the natural background, and that teal... WOW! Girl, I simply can't keep up with all the goodness around here. You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete