Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Spellbinders Cut & Emboss Folders


The very kind folks over at Spellbinders sent me a couple of their new Cut & Emboss folders to try out.  These are really pretty cool.  I love the extra depth and dimension you get when you combine embossing and die cutting.  

I feel like most of the time when I use dry embossing it's tone on tone, to create some dimension/texture, or to soften my background, but for today's cards I wanted a more dramatic/focal effect.

I started by inking a couple panels with Distress Ink.  For this first card, I used Carved Pumpkin, Picked Raspberry, and Dusty Concord.

Then, before placing my panel into the Rose Flourish Cut & Emboss Folder, I spritzed the top of the folder (which would sit directly on my inked panel) with water.  The combination of the reaction of water and Distress Ink as well as the embossing adds extra emphasis to the embossed pattern...the pressure from the embossing pushes the ink/color to the embossed areas, helping them stand out even more from the background.


The panel was popped up over my card base, and I added a simple sentiment embossed on a black strip of cardstock as well as some sequins to finish it off.

This next card features the same technique, this time using Antique Linen and Salty Ocean Distress Inks, and the Regal Swirl Cut & Emboss Folder.


These folders really stand on their own, so all that was needed here was an embossed sentiment.  I did pop the panel up again as I think that adds some extra drama to the cut openings.


This is a really easy technique and I think you get a great impact.  Thanks so much for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment