Sunday, September 18, 2011

Birthday Gift Tradition

Carina turned one yesterday, and we continued a tradition we started when Ellie turned one where we each select one of our favorite childhood books for her. Note, Ellie LOVES books, and while she gets them throughout the year for Christmas, or as prizes for an accomplishment, or a new book for a long road trip, the birthday books are special. We sit and discuss which book to get each year, and put more thought into the process.

Here are the books Ellie has received since her auspicious birth:

One: Caps for Sale (my all-time favorite), Curious George (Andrew's favorite, and you'll see that she is getting the entire set of originals, one a year from him)

Two: Tikki Tikki Tembo, Curious George Takes a Job

Three: Corduroy, Curious George Rides a Bike

Four: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, Curious George Gets a Medal

It was a little harder to pick for Carina. She's just not that into books, and I wanted her to start collecting a 'set' like Curious George. I had a hard time thinking of one that I just LOVED that Ellie doesn't already have all or part of. I settled on Strega Nona. I do love Tomie de Paola's work, and figure when I am done getting the Strega Nona books, I can get her some of his others. Andrew picked Where the Wild Things are (which I'm kind of surprised we don't already own, and is PERFECT for our little wild one).

I'm curious if anyone else out there has some birthday gift traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment