Tuesday, November 15, 2011

H2H Challenge - Metal Mania, and Moxie Fab Medallions



Seems like I am just always behind on my Heart 2 Heart challenges these days, but at least I'm not as late as last week, right? Maybe by next week I'll be caught up...

This card is for the hubby who celebrates a birthday on Wednesday. I'm also going to link it up with Moxie Fab World's Medallions challenge.

I started off knowing that I wanted to use the little photo hangers to string up the banner, and that it would say i heart u, but beyond that I wasn't quite sure where we would end up.

The medallions I made are 'smashed'. While I like the look of medallions, I just kind of think they're impractical. I mean, if you're going to send someone a card, or spend all that time on a layout, don't you want something that won't end up smooshed? So, I set out to make mine smooshed to begin with.

I scored 3/4" pieces of cardstock every 1/4", but when I went to fold them, on the 'hills' I pivoted the cardstock a little bit, so that the scored line ends up in the center of the fold.

I used the tombow to connect the ends, and then shaped it into a nice tight medallion which I adhered to a small punched circle using the tombow. It's kind of an imperfect science, but it gives you the same basic look and feel of a regular medallion. And, you know it's still going to look that way even if you put a ten pound weight on it.

The pennant pieces were cut using the Cricut Art Philosphy cartridge at 3 1/2". They are scored 1/2" from the top and folded. I wasn't planning on using the hinges, but in the spirit of 'Metal Mania', I thought we could use some more metal. The hinges are great because it's a nice tight fit with the hemp...doesn't slide around, yet you can still move it and adjust it easily.

Originally I started with plain Cranberry cardstock and an Outdoor Denim frame, but I thought it looked too plain, so I cut a smaller frame using the same paper I used for the medallions to put on top of the plain frame. Then I busted out my Happy Clusters stamp - the Christmas tree one, and stamped inside the frame using Cranberry ink to get the tone on tone effect.

I really like how it turned out, and hopefully the hubby does too!

CTMH Products Used:
Stamps: Happy Clusters, Cocktail Alphabet, Set from Elemental Workshop on the Go
Ink: Outdoor Denim, Cranberry
Paper: Cranberry, Outdoor Denim, Bamboo, White Daisy, Lucky Level 2
Other: Photo Hangers, Hinges, Hemp, Dimensional Foam Tape, Cricut AP cartridge

5 comments:

  1. Such a cool way to incorporate medallions into a guy card, fabulously well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY! This is an amazing card! I LOVE the masculine theme with the brads and metal--and I LOVE the love theme with the sentiment and papers! You nailed this card! I'm sure your hubby will LOVE LOVE LOVE it:)

    AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Ditto to the other comments. :) Thanks for taking the H2H metal challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey hey:) Can't find your email on your blog---so I hope you don't mind me leaving a message here:)

    Could you please send me the link for the Papercraft Inspiration where I'm featured? I have not seen it! THANKS:)

    Many blessings:) Lots of love!! <3 Sav

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Miriam! Thanks for linking this up to the Championing Award Medallions challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete