Thursday, June 21, 2012

Happy Retirement Card



It's pretty crazy here. I'm trying to get packed for vacation, finish up some cards for publication submissions as well as some other challenge projects, so an older card to share today. This is a card I created a while back for a publication call that wasn't picked up, but I love the card as it's a great way to stretch your supplies, what you already have on hand.

I created the background paper by stamping with my acrylic block. I used my 1" x 6 1/2" block, and three different inks: Twilight, Desert Sand, and Garden Green.

The wide stripes were created by inking up the block with Garden Green, and then lightly swiping the inkpad against the block to get that texture.



Then I inked up the side of my block. The CTMH blocks are curved on the ends which is nice because it make it easy to grip, so there's a thicker line and a thinner line based on that curve in the block. For these thinner lines, I just loaded up the block and pressed (no swiping). I kept the pattern/color scheme very simple, but you could certainly add as much or as little additional color/layers as you like.

The sentiment piece is from the Card Word Puzzle set, and for the ruffle, I used some Cocoa grosgrain and a smaller oval piece. Then with a needle and thread I just loosely tacked it to the small oval piece gathering it with my fingers as I went along. The small oval was attached to the base piece and then the oval with the sentiment above that using dimensional foam tape.

Hope you are all staying cool today. It was 101 here! Hello Summer!

Supplies Used
Paper/Cardstock: White Daisy and Cocoa cardstock
Stamps: Card Word Puzzle
Ink: Cocoa, Twilight, Garden Green
Other: Cocoa grosgrain, Dimensional Foam Tape, Tombow Adhesive, Needle/thread

9 comments:

  1. Love your idea of creating your own custom-coloured "plaid" DP. And the gathered ribbon is sandwiched between two paper ovals, right? Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a fun card...love the ribbon treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! I loveeeeee the colors and loving the ribbon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHH! LOVE your ribbon treatment! FAB card:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is awesome Miriam! love the colors and the faded texture of the design...it's beautiful! genius way to use your tools too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so sweet...I love how you added the ribbon around the sentiment...love it..

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool technique for making the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you did with that ribbon! Cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific masculine retirement card, Miriam! I like the additional touch of grosgrain ribbon behind the sentiment.

    Hope you are having a wonderful trip abroad!

    Thanks for leaving some love at my blog recently...it was nice of you to visit!

    ReplyDelete