Monday, August 25, 2014

Very Important Person



I really needed to do a layout this last week.  When I'm away from scrapbooking too long it makes me a little antsy.  With school starting up next week, I though I should really do one (of the many, many, many that need to be done) from last school year.

Each week in the first grade classes at our school one of the students is the VIP.  The parent(s) come in and give a little presentation about the kid and then they can either have lunch with them in the cafeteria or take them out for lunch.

It's a surprise to the kids who it is each week, and Ellie had been on my case just that day wanting to know when I was going to be coming in for her VIP as it was getting close to the end of the year.  I totally lied to her to preserve the surprise, which I felt kind of bad about, but she really was surprised.

Each of the kids fills out a little form and draws a picture saying what is special about the VIP for the day, so I knew I wanted to include that little book in the layout as well as her VIP ribbon.  I always find it a little tricky incorporating memorabilia, especially things like the book of papers that you would want to be able to pull out and look at.



I used this month's Scrapbook Circle kit to create my layout, and kept things pretty clean and simple.  There's a little bit of a distressed look to the red/orange paper, so I played that up a bit using some white Dylusions Spray Ink.  I painted on some accents on the corners of the photos on the right as well as where the alphas were going and added some splatter too.  I added some stitching on the alphas more to make sure they didn't go anywhere as well as for some texture.



I puzzled a little bit over the right side, since I was using a kit I didn't have two sheets of the red/orange paper.  I decided to play off of the blue ribbon and make it more of a contrasting/complementary page, so I chose that dark blue paper as the base.  Then I added some clear photo corners, these are very old items in my stash.  They are actually Creative Memories, but I really like them for holding in memorabilia, travel brochures, anything that you might want to slip out and look at.  They are holding both the packet of papers that the kids filled out as well as the presentation that I put together about Ellie.

Oh and if you're wondering where we went to lunch, I offered all sorts of nice restaurants, and what did Ellie pick?  McDonald's.  At least I was able to talk her into going to my favorite pastry shop for dessert.

Supplies Used
Scrapbook Circle - August 2014 Island Paradise Kit
Other:  Ranger - Dylusions White Linen Ink Spray; Tombow - Mono Adhesive; Creative Memories Corner Mounting Adhesives

13 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! LOVING that you included the drawing and the ribbon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is ADORABLE and soooo sweet!!! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun and oh-so-sweet, Miriam! I love the stitching through the title and how you added in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute. love the pictures and the little ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story and I love your layout! She looks so happy and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wonder what to do about layouts like this also!! You did an amazing job and the title shows what the occasion is and then everything seems to focus on the pics - Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great layout and it looks like a special day for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww this is so cute! I love her drawing and super cute photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great memory to document. I like the blue on the opposite page to balance it all out. And hahaha, my oldest picks the expensive Japanese steakhouse for his birthday meal, and the other son always picks McDonals! Crazy kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this very late! I'm a bit behind in my blog reading! I love the layout!! Love that the school does this, it a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete