Sunday, September 1, 2019

Spellbinders September Large Die of the Month


Hi all!  I'm popping in to share a card using the just released September Large Die of the Month kit from Spellbinders.

As always, there are so many different dies in the set.  The largest is the big mushroom I'm featuring here, but there are also some smaller mushrooms, a gnome, etc.

I love the detail on this big mushroom and thought it made the perfect shelter for my little squirrel.  There are several pieces to the mushroom cap itself, there's a die that cuts the main cap, and then another that cuts the holes/speckles, and then another for the underside of the mushroom. There's also a thin piece that defines the break between the cap and underside, but for my card I left that off. 

I wanted to get an inlaid look for the mushroom, so I started by cutting the cap itself, then I cut another, but also die cut the speckles on that one (that piece just cuts out the little holes and not around it).  Then I placed the piece with the detailed underside onto the second cap (with the speckles) and die cut.

These pieces were all die cut from white cardstock, and I added color using simple inking.  Once I had all the pieces for my mushroom cap colored/inked, I adhered it together.  Then I took the die for the top of the mushroom stem, placed it on the finished mushroom cap, and die cut.  This created a negative space where the cap nests.  I did the same thing with the bottom of the stem, so the entire mushroom is one layer that is pieced together.  You can get see a close up of that below:


After my mushroom was done, I die cut the squirrel and acorn adding inking to them, and also inked up a panel with some greens.  From that, I used my scissors to cut a simple gently sloping ground line, and also used some of the excess to die cut the grass pieces.

For the background, I cut an extra mushroom cap and then used some post its to mask off the center of the card.  Then I stamped the rain with a light gray ink.

Then it was time to assemble the card.  The sentiment is from My Favorite Things.  As a finishing touch, I used a black liner to color in the squirrels eye, and then added a drop of glossy accents over top.

Thanks for visiting!  Be sure to stop by Spellbinders to see more samples using this new kit and to check out the rest of this month's offerings.

No comments:

Post a Comment