Wednesday, December 9, 2020

SSS Love You Release Cosmo Stencil with Gouache


Hi all!  I've got something a little different for you today.  I'm guessing that at first glance you wouldn't think that I used a stencil to create this card, but that's exactly what I did.

I used the Cosmo stencil from Simon Says Stamp's new Love You release that just went live today.

I purchased some watercolor gouache paints quite a while ago, but hadn't had a chance to use them yet.  When I saw this stencil, I wanted to paint it, and thought gouache would be the perfect medium to use.

I started by lightly inking the stencil on some watercolor paper using Altenew Silver Stone ink.


This basically creates an outline/design for me to paint.  

I did this in segments, painting the background areas first, and then going in with three different shades of color for the flowers.  For the flowers, there was no real plan/pattern, I just tried to skip around a bit with my colors to keep things varied.  I started with the maroon color, painting random portions of the petals of all the flowers, followed that up with the red, and then the black.


The centers were painted with a very dark gray.  For the centers, I just dipped the end of my paintbrush into the paint and then onto the center of my flowers.

I really enjoyed working with the gouache.  I found it very easy to work with and very forgiving, and I like the more mattte/opaque look.  I also like how quickly the paint dries.  The painting isn't perfect, but I think it was good for a first outing.  Definitely looking forward to working with these again.  

I finished the card off with a simple sentiment from Simon Says Stamp's Healing Hugs set which was embossed on a a strip of black cardstock, matted with cardstock, and popped up with foam tape. 

That's all I have to share today, but be sure to head over to Simon Says Stamp to check out the rest of the release.

No comments:

Post a Comment