Thursday, February 18, 2021

SSS Geometric Builder Squares, Take 1

Hi all!  I finally carved out some time to focus on these Geometric Builder Squares dies from Simon Says Stamp.  Just like a few weeks ago when I was working with the Geometric Circles, I'll be sharing several days worth of cards using these guys.  

Today I thought it would be fun to create essentially the same card, but in two very different styles.

For both of these cards I used the square that cut four triangles.  For this first card, I cut the die twice using four different shades of solid cardstock.  

I then assembled my pattern on a piece of scrap white cardstock by using the same square, i.e. the four colored triangles are in the same order, but I changed the orientation of the square itself, rotating it a quarter turn each time.

I used Altenew's Caps Bold Alphabet dies as well as a sentiment from the retired Typed Sentiments set from Neat & Tangled.  Which was embossed and popped up with foam tape.

For this next card, I pulled four different patterned paper scraps from the piles and piles of scraps that I have, and cut the die twice from each.

This time, I wanted a more quilted look, so the pattern is more regular.  I started by creating a larger square using eight of the triangles, and then expanding the pattern from there to complete the look.

Again, I used a scrap piece of cardstock as my base.  I wanted a more uniform look, so I trimmed my card base down 1/4" so there's 1/2" border all around (the quilted piece is 3" x 4 1/2").  

To add to the quilted/homespun look, I stitched around the border of the quilted piece.  

The sentiment was created using Pinkfresh Studio's Lea's Ornate Lowercase dies and another stamp from the Typed Sentiments set.  I added a bit of stitching to the ends of the secondary sentiment, although my zig zags got a little too close to the 'me' for my liking.  The alpha dies were originally white, but I thought the contrast was a little too much, so I just die cut another set of letters from a soft gray and adhered them over top.  Super easy fix.

Which version is your favorite?  Isn't it so fun to see such different looks from the same basic card?

More from these dies coming soon!

1 comment: