Thursday, June 18, 2020

Altenew Pieced Arabesque Medallion


Hey everyone!  I've got a couple cards to share today using my all-time favorite Altenew background, the Arabesque Medallion.

My job involves a lot of meetings.  In normal times, I always have some paper with me, and I doodle to stay focused/alert.  Now that I'm working from home, there are a lot more 'doodling' type options available, so the other day, I decided to do some fussy cutting.  

I stamped the medallion on several pieces of patterned paper.  Most of the pieces were almost solid or had very subtle patterns (this is a great way to put a dent in your patterned paper stash).  

I used an ivory toned paper as my base, and then started fussy cutting.


This was a a challenging pattern to fussy cut because some of the pieces were very narrow or had very tight turns, but I think the results look beautiful.  

I thought long and hard about creating just one card with the medallion centered on it, but I love being able to get two cards from one effort, especially when it is a more time consuming technique, so I went ahead and cut the medallion in half to use on two cards.


For this first card, I mounted the medallion half over a piece of very dark gray cardstock.  The sentiment is from an old My Monthly Hero kit and was embossed in gold.  I also added a very thin strip of gold mirror cardstock, and then adhered it to a kraft card base.


The second half of the medallion had a larger portion of the patterned paper base on that end, so it filled up the entire card front, although I did trim it down just a bit so I had a border at the top and bottom of my panel.

The sentiment is from an old Papertrey Ink set.  

Normally I would have used some foam tape to pop these up a little, but I decided to keep them flat for easier mailing.  The piecing does add some texture and a bit of visual dimension.


This was fun, and I have my eye on a couple other backgrounds that I'm thinking it would be fun to piece, so stay tuned!


If you'd like to see a couple other ways I've used this stamp set, check out this post, and this post.  

Thanks for stopping by, hope you are having a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Miriam, OMG, this is GORGEOUS!!! I so appreciate all your careful paper piecing. And then you actually cut it in half ... ack!! But that was totally the right call. Two cards are better than one!

    ReplyDelete