Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Colorado Craft Company Birthday Wishing Clean and Simple Masking



Hi friends!  I have a trio of super clean and simple masked cards featuring the Birthday Wishing set from Colorado Craft Company to share today.

I love this image of the bunny with the balloon and wanted to put him center stage.

I started by stamping him on a few panels of Neenah Solar White cardstock with Gina K Black Amalgam ink using my MISTI, leaving the stamp in place after I was done.

I also stamped the image onto some masking paper and then fussy cut the balloon and bunny.

Those masked pieces were placed over the stamped images.  I then adhered Post-It tape around all four sides of the stamped panel, covering the outside 1/2" of the panel.

Then it was time to ink the background.  The first panel I inked was that darker blue one, using Cloudy Sky and Nimbus ink from Altenew.  I then masked off a bit of the bottom of the panel for the ground line and inked the ground using Charcoal Suit ink, also from Altenew.

All of the Post-It tape and masks were then removed.  It's always a little bit like magic pulling those masks off!

The same process was completed for the other panels.  For the lighter blue I used Misty Morning and Cloudy Sky along with a Charcoal Suit again for the ground, just using a lighter hand with that.

For the gray panel, I used Silver Lake and Cloudy Night with Cloudy Night for the ground as well.

When reusing masks, especially where there are those smaller areas like a bunny foot or ears that are away from the main piece, sometimes those outside areas start to lose their stickiness.  I tap just a bit of Tombow Mono Adhesive tape runner against them when that happens to help add a bit of stickiness.  Sometimes this leaves some residue when you remove the mask, but a gum eraser easily removes those.

Once all my panels were inked, I proceeded to color them using Copics.  For the balloon, I used R32, R35, R37, and R39, for the bunny I used E30, E31, E33, E35, and E37, and for that little bit at the bottom of the balloon string I used N1 and N5.

After coloring each of the panels, I slipped them back into the MISTI, remember I had left my stamp in place?  I restamped the image, this time using Versafine which really crisps up the image and makes it pop.  Of course you need to be sure you have your panel carefully placed in the corner.  I started out with four panels (there was a darker gray version too) and was working too fast and managed to mess one up.

The sentiments were then added.  Two of them are from this Birthday Wishing set and this last one is from the Wishing You Happiness set.

These backgrounds are so easy to create, but I think they give the image such impact.  

Hope you are having a great week - it's really warming up here, 70 degrees!  

1 comment: